Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Aug 2, 2023

brilliant move Yinon Magal

I have been keeping an eye on the Strauss-Channel 14 situation with some interest.

Strauss decided to stop advertising on Channel 14 after one of their panelists expressed his opinion that Yigal Amir should not be serving a life sentence but should be let out to some applause. Even though Channel 14 censured the advocate, Strauss pulled their advertising from the station.

What I find amazing is that somehow Yinon Magal turned it into an ideological battle with Strauss being against all the viewers of Channel 14 and their viewers have bought into it and many are looking for ways to boycott Strauss products. Magal took a consumer issue of losing a big client and its advertising money and turned it into an issue of they discount and dismiss all our viewers because we support the reforms and the government, etc...and the people, many of them, bought into it.

Personally, I dont see why I should care where they do or dont advertise. I wish nobody would advertise on any station. On the internet whenever possible I skip the ads. I do not have a television so I dont watch Channel 14 just like I dont watch Channel 11, 12, 13 or whatever other channels are you there. On the internet I get my news fairly equally from all the sources, checking both conservative and liberal sites fairly equally to keep abreast of the news. And no, I dont want to see any companies advertisements. 

According to Magal, we need to be upset that we suddenly cant see Strauss's advertisements - I personally wish all the companies would stop advertising on all the channels (that would mean less programming, etc, I know, but I still dont have to like the ads and can wish for them to all go away). Yet people who skip ads whenever possible are suddenly fighting because a company stopped advertising. And they have been led to believe they are fighting a moral battle, when it is just Channel; 14 upset at the loss of ad revenue. Brilliant move by Yinon Magal.


------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. First, without ads, there'd be no TV. I don't watch TV myself, but lots of people do.

    Second, this *is* ideological. Strauss is completely owned by one person (funny how that works out) who has clear ideological views, and they're pretty much accepting that that's what's behind this. Of course this means money to Channel 14, but Magal is perfectly within his rights to attack them, and he's hardly being original here.

    On the other hand, the newspaper today has a full page ad singed by a bunch of rabbanim attacking Strauss. That's just wrong.

    Also, "conservative" and "liberal" are not really accurate here. Heck, "right" and "left" aren't really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if I am not mistaken Strauss didnt pull their ads throughout the period of the judicial reforms struggles, and I am not aware of them having commented publicly about it (though I might be wrong). they pulled it after the channel 14 panelist made his comment about yigal amir. That isnt trying to educate the public, that isnt taking a stand against judicial reform, that isnt being against the entire right wing public. one can agree with what Strauss did or one can disagree with what Strauss did, but it isnt at all the way Magal is portraying it (though of course he has a right to take a stand against Strauss. I never said he didnt).

      Delete
    2. The panelist is Amir's lawyer. He's more than justified in calling for Amir to be released, and he didn't even call for that.

      Delete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...