Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Feb 6, 2012

Feeding the Birds on Shabbos Shira

I am wondering what people commonly do regarding the minhag of feeding the birds on Shabbos Shira. Our custom of feeding the birds, to thank them for their eating the leftover manna planted by Dasan and Aviram to scoff at Moshe along with thanking them for our borrowing their power of song when singing after the Sea had split, was always to do it on Shabbos.

I learned later the opinions, that seem to have become fairly common nowadays, that this should be done on Friday and not on Shabbos itself, as the minhag is against the halacha of not feeding on Shabbos birds, or other animals, that don't belong to you. I also learned the opinions, especially the Aruch Hashulchan among others, that say despite that the minhag remains the minhag and there are justifications for doing so on Shabbos itself.

I have kept doing this on Shabbos itself. I am wondering what is more common.

If you don't mind, answer in the comments what you do:

  1. feed the birds on Shabbos
  2. feed the birds on Friday
  3. dont feed the birds at all
  4. used to feed the birds on Shabbos but changed to Friday
  5. Other (please explain)
This is not a scientific study, obviously, but is just to satisfy my curiosity.. Thanks for your participation

9 comments:

  1. 3. I don't feed the birds at all. Midrashim are not history. Maybe if I had my own personal connection to the birds of my neighborhood for some reason, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3. Don't feed the birds at all, mainly beacuse my 4 cats will have a tasty lunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of this minhag before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friday. Grew up feeding them on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First heard of the Minhag only a few years ago, and heard of it in the contect "many people object the the widespread minhag..."

    So never adopted the minhag (which never made sense to me anyway). Would make more sense to feed dogs, at least their participation in Yetziat mitzrayim has a Pasuk, not just a Midrash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have a minhag to specifically eat a bird on this shabbos that way we get the extra mann.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With regard to the content of this post, I just want to add that there is no better device than a bird feeder when it comes to one's bird feeding experience. It doesn't necessarily entail that you feed the birds on a scheduled basis. The simplicity and effectiveness of the device makes it a helpful tool in attracting birds and providing food for them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...