Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Apr 16, 2013

Ever wonder how it became popular to fly Israeli flags from car windows, instead of just the traditional full-size flags from houses?

The answer is in today's Facebook Status of the Day... and we have Moshe Feiglin to thank for this trend, rather than some brilliant marketing agent..



Translation:
Did you ever ask yourself - where did this strange tradition come from to stick a flag on cars?
Good, well the time has come to reveal the truth..
for the wind-struck flag stuck in the window of your car - your faithful servant is guilty.
When I arrived 20 years ago to live in the Shomron, I was shocked to see my neighbors protecting their cars with all sorts of metal screens, to protect from the rain of rocks during the first intifada. They looked like mobile cages.
I tried to explain to them that this behavior will just encourage more rock throwing, but the natural desire to protect one's family was too strong.
One night I stayed awake all night, and in the morning a flag the size of a sail was flown from the roof of my car. In the morning, I opened the window of my car, I stuck out my elbow like a taxi driver, and I drove slowly to work through the wild downtown Kalkilya.
My neighbors already started saying kaddish for me - more or less, but when I continued to do this regularly it became clear that for some reason specifically I was never getting rocks thrown at my car.
Slowly but surely more neighbors began joining the initiative. People who traveled with no flag felt threatened more than those who did fly the flag.
When we did reserve duty in Shchem - Tzippi drove all the way to Shchem, by herself, with the flag of Israel, in order to bring a fresh supply of her famous cookies to my unit (now you know the secret of my energy).
The General of the Central Region was the Amram Mitzna - who sits with me today in the Knesset. At first they began with the army jeeps to spontaneously fly the Israeli flag. But Mitzna gave orders forbidding this, and he stopped citizens at the roadblock who had the flag. I had neighbors who drew a large flag on their car - something that could not be taken down.. and in the end he gave up.
Then I understood that if I want this phenomenon to expand, I would have to provide the public with a simple device - not every person would improvise a device for a flag. It began with something awkward and metallic, and it went through all sorts of creations until it settled on what we are all familiar with today.
Since then, all sorts of merchants took it further independently - and that is the story of the Israeli flags that fly on cars on Yom HaAtzmaut.


------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...