Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Sep 10, 2019

Donations for prayers rather than for good work

An organization called up looking for a donation. A good organization. An organization I have donated to in the past and would donate to again. I think most people consider this organization a worthy organization.

She went on her spiel about a new program they are raising money for, and in her spiel she mentioned about donors to this program receiving a special bracha from Rav Kanievsky for protection in judgement for the coming year.

At the end of her spiel I said I would donate, but I offered a donation far smaller than what she was asking for.

After thanking me, she tried to persuade me once more to increase the donation, and offered me another set of benefits including being prayed for (didnt catch who would be doing the praying) at the Kotel in exchange for the increased donation.

I stuck to my smaller donation and told her that the truth is I almost decided to give no donation at all once she started with the shtick of brachas and Rav Kanievsky and now the Kotel. The organization is worthy of donations without all that shtick and it is just a turn-off, but I wont cancel the donation and will only give the amount I initially offered. I donate to them because of the good work they do, not because of someone going to the Kotel for me.

Anyways I would not have donated as much as she wanted me to, but I might have donated a slightly larger donation.

Did I do right or wrong?



------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

6 comments:

  1. Good question. Maybe it would have been better if you had given her the amount you usually give (so as not to punish the organization), but explicitly asked her to make a note on your donor card not to offer you such inducements in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you gave them good feedback in a memorable way. giving the amt you would normally give, even with a note not to give inducements to YOU particularly, effectively encourages them to continue with the negative behavior. Because they only experience gains, from people encouraged to give, and no losses. So why not continue to do so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it "negative behavior" objectively, for everyone, or is it negative only in your eyes?

      Delete
    2. maybe but she's just someone in their call center. she isnt going to change any policy. maybe she'll repeat the story of the weird guy she called and maybe it'll be passed around until it hits someone higher up who might consider it

      Delete
  3. It is a sad commentary, really, about where we are. Traditionally, such appeals emphasized (a) the mitsva of tsedakah (and the merit that gains us, particularly at this time of year) and (b) the need to help fellow Jews in difficult circumstances.

    That does not seem to suffice anymore, so we need to peddle berachos from R. Chaim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're concerned, give the difference to a different chesed organization that does not fundraise in that way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...