Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Sep 10, 2023

funding to Uman

Minister Orit Struk tweeted (x'd? I still dont know what the correct way to say this now is) that she voted against a government decision to fund and subsidize transportation to Uman. 

Struk says that at a time when Ukraine is at war with missile attacks, with no shelters or reasonable preparation for protection and safety in no way can it appear as if the government of Israel supports and encourages this dangerous trip. She then pleads with people to not endanger their lives, to not go, there are enough other places to go and daven...

Honestly, I am shocked the government of Israel funds this. I never knew that before. I dont know if it is a new thing or if it is something that has been done in the past as well. I dont know why they should fund a trip abroad for people who think it is important. Can they fund my vacation, to wherever I decide to go? What about if I daven at a kever while there? Maybe the USA or Dubai or a trip to Eastern Europe. I asked in response to her tweet but have not yet received an answer, and dont really expect one.

I thought for a moment that Israel funds March of the Living and probably some other trips abroad for things so why not this. Those however are the national interest, holocaust memorials, a large part of the impetus for the foundation of the State, and definitely for the international support for it. A trip to Uman seems very sectorial and a narrow segment, even if it is a big crowd...

I would not even be surprised if Minister Porush is behind this as another way to help his buddy Berland...

I should add, I did see some people comparing it to trips to kever yosef - will she call on people to stop going to kever yosef considering the danger always present? I am not sure it is the same. In Uman, the Ukranian governemnt is saying dont come, it is dangerous, we are at awar, we cant protect you. In kever yosef the IDF secures the trips and they are part of the original Oslo agreements (as far as I know) and as long as the IDf says they can secure it and ensure safety, it is ok. There are times where they cancel planned trips to kever yosef and other such locations because of known dangers.






------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...