Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Dec 1, 2011

Interview With Elie Klein, Dough For Donuts, Sufganiya Eater Par Excellance

What started off as a friendly competition among a few friends has become an annual major fundraiser, an unusual fundraiser. And the most interesting part of it is that it is a one-man show - one guy eating sufganiyot from Rosh Chodesh Kislev until the end of Hannukah, and people donating money per sufganiya eaten.

Elie Klein, a fellow resident of Bet Shemesh and the guy behind all the sufganiyot, graciously allowed me to interview him and share his thoughts about the sufganiya eating binge.

RG: I remember a couple years back, if I remember correctly, this started off as a sufganiya eating contest between you and a few other people. Somehow you put away the competition and it was just you left standing. How did that happen?

EK: The first year, it was more casual, just a gentleman's bet. But last year, everything changed when my campaign began to evolve. I was eating a great deal more than my 'competitors' were willing to stomach and they stepped aside to allow the campaign to take center stage.

RG: How did you get the idea to raise money form what originally just started as a fun way to eat sufganiyot?

EK: It evolved quicker than you could imagine. From the very beginning, I was joking with my wife that I was eating so many sufganiyot that I should have a sponsor. I made the same remark to a cousin via Facebook a few days into the 'competition' and she agreed to become a sponsor. Within minutes, I had several more sponsors and a Facebook event page to track my progress.

RG: How do you eat so many sufganiyot? Don’t you get sick of them eventually?

EK: I was blessed with a very fast metabolism. In a way, I am donating my metabolism to charity for a month. One can definitely have too much of a good thing, but I really see it as a sport, a challenge. And there is no better motivator than charity.

RG: Does it actually make you sick, eating so many greasy sufganiyot in such a short time period?

EK: Like any 'sport', it's all about knowing your limits and never getting to that point.

RG: Do you ever not really want to eat anymore, but you force yourself to so as to raise more money, or to meet a target number?

EK: Your body starts 'asking questions' after a while, but you just have to know what you are capable of. I haven't had to push myself that hard yet, but I am committed to doing whatever necessary to reach my goal of 100 sufganiyot.

RG: How difficult is this, or is it all fun and pleasure?

EK: It is all about fun. As long as my 'fans' and sponsors are having fun, I am enjoying myself, too.

RG: What message do you have for the public?

EK: The message is simple. I am only doing this to grab everyone's attention and remind them that they have causes and charities that they believe...and that they should support those causes. I am not asking anyone to give to any specific charity but just to give.

RG: How many sufganiyot did you eat last year? Why limit this years goal to 100?

EK: Last year, I consumed 70 donuts and raised NIS 32,788.60 (roughly $9,100) for 44 causes and charities around the world. This year, I have made a pledge to eat no less than 100 sufganiyot during the campaign. I chose 100 because it is a nice round number (and an impressive one), a considerable jump from 70, and the most I believe I can handle.

RG: Usually, people do programs raising money for a specific organization, like running a marathon to raise money for Chai Lifeline or other such organizations. You are letting people donate and choose on their own where to donate to. What is behind the idea of having people sponsor and donate to the organization of their choice?

EK: Everyone has friends who are running in marathons, cycling, bowling or walking to raise money for causes they believe in. While these are all fantastic initiatives, the problem is that they all tend to meld together after a while, especially on Facebook. And when a fundraiser becomes a nuisance and just "more of the same," people stop paying attention. In addition, while the causes chosen may speak to those managing the initiatives, those asked to sponsor often don't feel the same way.

'Dough for Donuts' works because it's unusual and entertaining. It catches and holds your attention for a full 31 days. Last year, several sponsors (complete strangers) commented that they felt compelled to join the ranks because they "just had to get in on the fun." And there is no one, defined charity or cause: sponsors can choose where the money goes. I'm not asking anyone to give to a specific cause but rather just to give. Everyone has a cause or charity that they believe in. This initiative is about giving them "an excuse" to finally open their wallets and support those causes.

RG: If someone wants to donate or sponsor you, and track your progress, can you give me a URL where they can do so? Also, do you have a URL for readers who might not be using Facebook?

EK: Everyone can follow my progress and pledge a per sufganiya amount to their favorite charity or cause via the Facebook event page: http://tinyurl.com/dough4donuts. If one does not have Facebook, they can send me their pledge via e-mail: elieklein@facebook.com

RG: I read once that Adam Richman of the Man v Food challenges has a special workout regimen that allows him to be able to eat that much and also to help keep the eight off. Do you do anything special in that regard or do you just eat?

EK:  I have been eating a great deal more salad than usual (i.e. from none to some), and I am trying to walk as much as possible. Other than that, just eating.


Important clarification:  Donations should not be sent to Elie.  All sponsors and donors are responsible for sending their money to the charities and causes they chose on their own at the end of the campaign.

 Good luck to Elie on eating all those sufganiyot and raising all that money. It is amazing how with a little creativity one can turn even the most mundane act into a good deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...