Oct 11, 2026

Quote of the Day

When I met with my parents after I was released they said we hope you are not angry with us. I said I was not angry but was proud of them....my parents fought for me like crazy, and while they were fighting for me they were fighting for other things as well, and one does not cancel out the other. This was an issue of dinei nefashot, matters of life and death. Do you want to save a life now or save lives even later? To me it was ovious that if we make a deal now I would get out of there but in abother2 days, 3 days, a month, two months, a year, 2 years, 10 years, someone else will end up sitting here in my place.....
I looked at my captor and said to him I will not leave this land... He asked why not? I said look at the Gaza Strip - it is completely destroyed, everything here is death, when the war ends and the crossings will be opened will you leave to Egypt? He said no. Why not? Because this is my house. Exactly, this is my house as well.... In 100 years there will be Jews here. In 100 years there will be Arabs here. What should we do during these 100 years. Do you want my children to kill your children, and your grandchildren to kill my grandchildren? Or maybe we should be smart enough to find a solution so we can all live here. Because we will live here, one way or another we will be living here together...


  -- excerpts from former hostage Avinatan Ohr's interview with Ilana Dayan

different news sources quoted different parts of the interview, each depending on the position they wanted to stress and promote. The first in which he is ok and understanding of his parents choosing to be in the Tikvah Forum and fight for advancing the war while not demanding immediate release of their children vs the second in which he talks about finding a way to allow Jews and Palestinians to live peacefully side by side. People are complex and situations are complex. People can hold different positions on issues that dont always jibe with each other so cleanly



------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...