Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Sep 2, 2013

Book Review: Rosh Hashana Yom Kippur Survival Kit


NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.

Book Review: Rosh Hashana Yom Kippur Survival Kit, by Shimon Apisdorf

Many years ago I bought one of these survival guide books. I don't remember for sure which, I think it was the Passover edition, but I am not sure and I cannot find it in my bookcase. At the time I bought it because I thought it would be a humorous take on the holidays, providing a fun read along with some inspiration and knowledge. At the time I was either a yeshiva bochur, or a young kollel guy, and when I got it and actually started reading it, I had decided it was not for me. We yeshiva bochurs know everything, and this was not only not a humorous essay on the Jewish holidays but it was a book for beginners to religion.

At the time I was a know-it-all yeshiva-guy. Now I got hold of the new Rosh Hashana Yom Kippur Survival Kit and I look at it completely differently. It is true that the book is at least in part for beginners, for people without background in Judaism, but it is much more than that. I have found that I am able to read a majority of the book and not feel like I am reading something not meant for me.

There are certain sections that I still feel are for beginners and I skipped those. Beginners to Judaism and Jewish observance should definitely read those, as they give over the basics in a very clear way. Maybe in a few more years I will find a way to appreciate these sections as well, and learn something new from them. In the meantime, most of the book is inspiring, gives clear explanations and is an invaluable tool to be used for preparing for the High Holidays, that are fast approaching.

My favorite section was Chapter 8, in which Apisdorf gives highlights of the morning service. He excerpts different parts of the shacharis service and gives explanations and his thoughts on the piece. They are poignant and thoughtful, and they helped me look at the tefilla a little differently.

I will definitely be continuing to read the Rosh Hashana Yom Kippur Survival Kit in preparation for the upcoming holidays, and will be bringing this book to shul for some inspiration during the "down times" of davening..

buy Rosh Hashana Yom Kippur Survival Kit, Judaica Press, $15.26
or from any major Jewish bookstore..




NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.




------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------



------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Very happy to see that Rabbi Apisdorf will be spending Rosh Hashana in Ramat Bet Shemesh hosting alternative minyanim for teens on our streets! What a great idea!

    http://www.shimonapisdorf.com/alternative-rosh-hashanah-minyan-for-teens/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your idea. Now I must say that while we are on holidays always carry an emergency preparedness kit with you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...