Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Aug 3, 2023

Facebook Status of the Day

This post is from Moshe Koppel, head of the Kohelet Forum, upon whose conclusions the judicial reforms were based... the post is interesting and provides food for thought for its opponents but also, I think, misses the boat on some aspects and might allay some fears while not allaying, or maybe even increasing, others...



Translation:
To my friends on the left (without any cynicism, I really have a lot of friends on the Left), it seems that sometimes I need to say things that I thought were obvious on their own but it turns out they are not, so here goes:
1. I am completely in favor of (almost) complete freedom. Not because I am a big tzaddik but at least from the perspective that I understand that if you dont have freedom then I also wont have it. And also because I actually believe in it.

2. I have noticed that sometimes there are people on "my side" that say stupid things, do stupid things, and use their power granted by the State and taxpayer money to advance their own personal or party interests. And that is disgusting.

3. I understand that you are afraid because of these people and because of the freedoms they might trample. I am as well.

4. I understand that at times you feel like suckers because you serve in the army and pay taxes, and there are others that do so less. You are not the only ones that serve and pay taxes, definitely not, but I understand.

5. Still, despite all that, you are mistaken. Most elected officials do not agree with the more extreme things, because they want to be re-elected and the public very much values freedoms, even if only their own freedoms. Pay attention that when insane suggestions are made on the Right every now and again, they are almost immediately shot down and specifically by others on the Right.

6. You are mistaken if you think that because the justices and Attorney General today look and think like you they will protect your freedoms. A small group of people that have too much power, that does not need to be elected, are very much able to one day discriminate and limit people's freedoms. And they do it, though maybe you have not noticed because so far they have not done it to you. We should not give them too much power because when they are above the law they are dangerous. And take into account that today they are more similar to you but tomorrow they might not be.

7. We need to find an arrangement that will be more appropriate behind the scenes. Meaning, when neither you nor I know who the judges will be more like and who the MKs will be more like. That requires compromises.

8. It is possible. Let it be.



------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. There is an arrogance on the left. Only they can define democracy. Only they know what democracy is. It's their definition or you're a fascist.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...