Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Nov 2, 2010

Con-men are celebrities in the heimishe community

Today is election day in the US. Will the Democrats take the big hit they are expected to, or will they retain most of their power? That is the question. If you have not yet voted, get out now and show some respect to your democratic rights, and go vote! If you don't vote, you don't count.

And if you are going to vote in New York, listen to this. A friend received a phone call today. When he picked up the receiver, he heard an automated message - one of those calls telling you for whom to vote.

The phone call said, in ym friends description:
the fellow on the line started his recorded message in thick chassidish yiddish
............"Ich hays chaim hollendar un ich been gevain in tfisah" ("i am chaim hollendar and i was in jail")..........
mr hollendar went on to say how he was in jail and how eric shneiderman is the best candidate as he promised to help heimishe prisoners.
he said that voting for "ERRRR_IC" is mamesh pidyon shevuim and closed with a bracha that all listeners not have "legale" problems.
I dont know anything about Eric Shneiderman, if he is good or bad, if he supported this phone message or not, and am not going to tell you to vote for him or not. I find it amusing, and appalling, that prisoners and con-men have been given celebrity status and are considered men of influence.

Hollander was part of a ring of people in Kiryas Yoel who were caught in a massive tax fraud and money laundering scheme.

This guy is telling people for whom to vote? In the heimishe community this is an influential issue? Voting for this guy is pidyon shvuyim?

You can't make this stuff up!

2 comments:

  1. I am deeply disappointed with this post and I highly doubt your mentors (like Rabbi Soloveichik) would agree on bashing an individual person before getting the true facts about him.

    Chaim Hollender has said in open court that he ‘is’ guilty. He has given speeches in front of thousands of people on many occasions and admitted his guilt as well. He was written up in numerous newspapers and everywhere he proclaimed his guilt and encouraged people to always follow the law. He is a breath of fresh air in the heimishe community; he is constantly preaching that we all have to follow the law. Of course if you would do some research you would know that, yet it is easier to just attack that ”As a man raised in this community he has been indoctrinated to believe that what he did wasn't so bad.” This is just WRONG on every level!

    And even If that one person did something that you think is wrong, is it fair to bash the whole community because of that one person? to ostracize KJ and the whole frum world is simply wrong -- you are against stereotyping, aren't you?

    Now about that recording: mr. Hollander has the right to voice his opinion just like you have. and what did the Message say, that Schneiderman will Protect your rights ;it does not say that all criminals will go free, it does not talk about guilt and innocence, it simple says he will make sure to give “everyone” their American rights. We do live in America and we do have rights – even if you are Jewish and guilty.

    There is a big chance that if you would get to know Chaim Hollender, you would admire him for doing the right thing and speaking for the heimishe community about crime prevention. I think you owe him an apology and you should take back what you wrote..

    I do hope that the rest of the stuff you write is better researches and more in line with daas torah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. off-topic, but I am not sure why you mentioned Rabbi Soloveichik. I admire him as a talmid chochom, and I know him (and other members of his family) a long time from Chicago, but he is not my mentor, nor do I have any idea why you bring his name into this.

    Second, I didnt bash KJ. I find it unusual, and appalling, that a criminal can be considered influential enough that he can be brought in to run a campaign like this. Is this guy funding this campaign from prison or is the campaign being supported by others from outside - whether it is the politician himself or other people from the community?

    And pidyon shvuyim? really? and you say his goal is just to fight for their rights and not to get them out? pidyon shvuyim is helping them get food with a "better" hecsher?

    and I dont know where you got that quote from, with which you are criticizing me (the one that you quote: As a man raised in this community he has been indoctrinated to believe that what he did wasn't so bad."), but I didnt write it, and it isnt anywhere in my post. SO I dont know what your point is referring it to me.

    "that you think is wrong".. not sure what you mean. he was convicted of fraud and money laundering. you dont think its wrong? only I do?

    you are right that it is wrong to bash the whole community for what he did, and that was not my intention. on the other hand, the fact that the community considers him influential enough that he (or whomever is supporting the campaign) is willing to spend a lot of money to hear his voice heard, means the community considers him influential.

    I dont consider myself influential. That is why I spend no money on getting my voice heard. I write a blog that takes up my time, but costs me no money (yes, I know, time is money). I make my voice heard to the few people who want to read a free blog where the author gets no money nor pays any money for publicizing his opinion. This guy (or his supporter) paid thousands of dollars to run a campaign to make his voice heard in his community. Just a slight difference. He, or someone, obviously thinks his voice is worth some good money.

    I am happy to hear he speaks about crime prevention. Thank you Mr. Hollender for your efforts to keep everyone in the community on the right path. I have nothing to apologize for though because I did not say anything bad about him. He is a convicted criminal, and that is public knowledge and nothign I need to apologize for.

    Now, the fact that he thinks anyone is going to vote for a candidate just because he is good for defending prisoners rights, rather than any of the other myriad of issues, is strange to me, but maybe someone out there will vote for that one reason..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...