Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Apr 6, 2011

An Israeli Abroad Chooses To Return

There is a great opinion piece running in Ynetnews. It was written by an Israeli who has spent the year in Columbia University studying for a Masters in law. He writes about despite how good and comfortable everything in the USA is for him, and how if he would choose to stay he would have a very bright and comfortable future, far more so than he would in Israel, he chooses to come back to Israel.

Why summarize, when I can quote? Here he is in his own words:
My name is Eran and I’ve been living for almost a year now in New York, in a nice apartment near wonderful Central Park. I also study at a top-notch private university. In a few months I’ll be completing my studies, and naturally I’m thinking about the future.


After a year in the United States I can sum up by saying that it’s mostly comfortable here. Life is comfortable when you discuss the TV ratings of the Super Bowl or environmental issues in China over lunch. It’s nice to go through everyday life without hearing depressing news about terror attacks and road accidents. It’s also convenient to study for a whole year without performing military reserve service, use a subway that spares me traffic jams and parking issues and shower for as long as I want, without feeling pangs of conscience over the state of the Sea of Galilee.
Life is truly comfortable for me here. I can also predict with confidence that things will be getting even more comfortable in the future: The average salary of graduates in my field is 12 (!) times what it is in Israel, the professional challenge is much greater, and my circle of friends will continue to expend.


So why will I be returning to Israel? It’s precisely the stay here that made me realize that we have no other place except our country. I now understand that Israel is the only place in the world where I’ll truly feel at home. I understand that despite my reserve service and all the wars, I nonetheless feel the safest in Israel. I realize that Israel is the only place where my identity as a Jew won’t stop me from at least dreaming to reach as far as possible.


I also understand that it’s important for me to take part in these historical moments where the Jewish people returned to its homeland after 2,000 years of exile. Mostly, my stay here made me realize that in the era of human rights the Jewish people has no future without tiny Israel. And this future is dear to me.


People who moved overseas tend to say that they did it because of the quality of life. However, quality of life is not only measured by the size of your house or the view from the window; it is also not measured by the amount of money you make or its color.


Hopeful about Israel’s future
Quality of life is measured first and foremost by the meaning of the life you live and is derived from the sense of belonging to the people around you, the wholeness of your identity, and the knowledge that by living in our state you are part of something bigger; bigger than you, and sometimes bigger than logic.


Indeed, it’s comfortable in America, yet as it turns out, human beings prefer meaning. And a Jew can only find meaning in Israel.


I will lie to myself if I say that there is nothing to improve in our state. There is plenty of room for improvement. The vision of the model society that our founding fathers dreamed of building here is far from being realized. The inequality between the rich and the poor is outrageous. The inequality between Jews and Arabs is blatant.


Meanwhile, whole sectors that enjoy rights but are unwilling to assume duties are expanding. The pursuit of peace, which for years now has been taking one step forward and then two steps back, is frustrating. Finally, our leaders, who are scared to lead yet are able to surprise us anew every time with the cynical exploitation of the mandate they received from us, are frustrating.


Nonetheless, something in my Israeli character doesn’t allow me to despair; I am unwilling to give up when faced with a fateful mission unlike no other. Perhaps it’s the age, or the stage in life, but many members of my generation and myself - all proud descendents of the Zionist movement - are still hopeful about Israel’s future, and mostly feel that everything still depends on us.
The irony of the opinion piece is, and this was pointed out by @neyne on twitter, the ad that was running alongside the article.

Alongside the article describing why return to Israel is an ad encouraging Israelis to travel abroad to make money around the world.

A great opinion piece, with a poorly placed advertisement.

2 comments:

  1. @neyne's photo was even more ironic due to specified location.

    http://plixi.com/photos/original/89979415

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, his emphasis is on the lack of a peace movement. Even the most jaded realize that financially, Israel is as good or even better than the U.S. Even the minimum wage is set to be higher than the US minimum wage next year. And when you have engineers and high techers making 30k a month here an you dont have huge yesghiva bills and health insurance one can make big money here - and many do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...