Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Oct 18, 2010

Rav Elyashiv and Shaquille O'Neal

I went into Bank Leumi today to talk about the possibility of opening an account there.

The one thing you notice right when you walk in, you can't miss it, is the four large LCD screens displaying images of the directors of Bank Leumi receiving a bracha from Rav Elyashiv. Everywhere you look in this little branch of Bank Leumi there is a screen facing you with the images displaying.

I was almost embarrassed with the commercial way they are using Rav Elyashiv's images. Just like Shaquille O'Neal making a commercial for vitamin water, Rav Elyashiv is now making commercials for Bank Leumi. Except Shaq is getting paid millions of dollars for use of his image, and Rav Elyashiv isn't even being paid anything at all, but Bank Leumi is probably raking it in because of the use of his image..

Rav Elyashiv and Shaquille O'Neal are both making commercials, but at least Shaq is getting paid. How embarrassing to use a gadol like that.

8 comments:

  1. I hope this negative perspective didn't stop you opening an account there.
    It is a very good little branch and they are very friendly and helpful...unlike another bank I could mention. (I unfortunately don't get commission for saying this!)

    Open your account and complain about their use of Rav Elyashiv's image later!!

    Antony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not yet decided if I will or wont open an account. They didnt really give me much reason to, as I am happy with my current account in a different bank. They told me our commissions and fees are about the same as that bank. They pride themselves on their service, but I already get great service in my current bank.

    We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also happy with the service at my bank, but not happy that they seem to go on strike every few months. So I was thinking of paying Leumi a visit as well.

    I agree with your disappointment at how the Gedolim are being used for endorsements for everything, including the ever-popular photo opps of them donating to a particular charity. It makes them seem like trained monkeys. On the other hand, I would objected if they were being paid - if they were using their stardom as a Gadol for financial gain. If they do it for free it's a bizayon to them, if they do it for pay it's a bizayon to their Torah learning. So how about if the Gedolim stay out of the endorsement business altogether and continue teaching us Torah and being role models of proper behaviour and middos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. the org of european rabbis wanted to visit the badatz eidah-haradit...they agreed...only no photos...they then chose not to visit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice, Rafi, I see you got on Matzav, let's see how the comments go there

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool. thanks for pointing it out. they grab my posts every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But of course Matzav took out any mention of Shaquille O'neal. Instead it says "a celebrity". Frauds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. as if their readers dont know who Shaq is..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...