Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Jul 13, 2015

Book Review: The Shemittah Guide

NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.

Book Review: The Shemittah Guide, by Rabbi Yissachar Dov Krakowski


I know that we are already nearing the end of the shemittah year, though for fruit things do continue into next year for a while.. but I just recently received this book which is a guide to the halachic issues of shemittah.

The Shemittah Guide, by Rabbi Yissachar Dov Krakowski, published by Gefen Publishing, is a small book and an easy and quick read. It is clear and concise in its review of the laws of shemittah.

I was wondering, when I received it, why do we need yet another book of the laws of shemittah? There are so many already! What could this possibly add that would make this book valuable and necessary.

After reading it the answer that came to me is that this book is different. Most books on shemittah talk about a lot of the theory behind the issues, a lot of the arguments among the different rabbonim on how to approach issues, a lot of explanation and detail. Rabbi Krakowski keeps his book small and to the point and does not get involved in all that. If you want just the halacha, just the final decision, with The Shemittah Guide you will not have to wade through lots of pages of information and explanation and search for what you are supposed to actually do. With The Shemittah Guide you will be able to easily find the practical halacha and know what to do.

Interestingly, perhaps, my favorite part of The Shemittah Guide was the earlier chapters. In the earlier chapters he lays out the type of psak he is using with some of the history of shemittah and specifically how psak on shemittah has evolved.

buy The Shemittah Guide on Amazon.com

buy The Shemittah Guide on Gefen Publishing



NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.



------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...