Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Jan 15, 2019

Book Review: The Jewish Ethic of Personal Responsibility


NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.

Book Review: The Jewish Ethic of Personal Responsibility, by Steven Pruzansky


I am always a bit hesitant to review books of divrei torah - after all, who am I to critique or to confirm someone else's Torah thoughts? I have found somewhat of a middle ground where I comment on the topic of the book itself or the quality of the writing and not on the words and thoughts of Torah expounded upon in the book. The reception of Rabbi Steven Pruzansky's most recent book for review presented me with an additional problem in that it is actually the second volume on the topic, and the fact that I did not read or review the first volume means the second volume, for me, only stands on its own and I cannot consider how it stays true to the mission laid out in the first volume.


The Jewish Ethic of Personal Responsibility, by Steven Pruzansky, is a well thought out book laid out in the form of essays on each portion of the Torah. Volume 2 includes his essays divided up based on the portions found in the books of Vayikra, Bamidbar and Devarim.  

The idea Pruzansky focuses on is personal responsibility and he finds lessons to tech us about it through each and every parsha. Personal Responsibility is not just taught as you have to be responsible for your actions and deeds. Rabbi Pruzansky discusses practical applications in which the lessons of personal responsibility are taught, such as, off the top of my mind, in education, tuition, zealotry, prayer, marriage, employment, enjoying physical pleasures and much much more.

In today's day and age, in which we often tend to feel entitled and deserving and personal responsibility is often eschewed and laid by the wayside in favor of personal advancement, absorbing such lessons and strengthening our commitment to personal responsibility can only be an important and productive venture.



NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.


------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...