Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Jun 24, 2009

Good People

Last week I lost something very expensive. I looked all over and could not find it. I went back a few times to where it was lost to see if maybe I missed looking somewhere - under a bush, under a bench, etc.

Last night a teenage boy calls me up and tells me he found it. He heard from somebody that I had lost the item and was looking for it, so he looked up my number and called.

He saved me a very big expense I would have had to replace it, yet he refused a reward.

Tizke Le'Mitzvos! People are inherently good.

10 comments:

  1. nothing exciting. a pair of sunglasses. They are prescription and I have a high number, so glasses for me are very expensive....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently took my mother who was visiting from San Diego and my kids to the Jerusalem science museum. I was really impressed by the level of what we found; it was really amazing. And the amount of hands on activities for kids... Really, it's an incredibly well conceived designed museum. My mother remarked about how impressed she was that there were so many activities with unattached parts, that in a science museum, say, in New York, this just wouldn't go.

    The point: rather than chalk it up to basic human goodness, which is a complex and debatable issue in my eyes, I would say that a Jewish society is morally superior to any other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cycnical side says that if it was something that another person could use, you wouldnt have gotten it back. Your prescription sunglasses may be expensive but are basically worthless to the next guy.

    But, the fact that the teenager went out of his way to contact you AND refused a reward is pretty impressive.

    HaLevai that the Jewish society would truly be morally superior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually imho he maximized his total reward by refusing to take what was behind curtain #3 for the surely greater reward on the other end of the prozdor.
    KT
    Joel Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joel, keep your hands off of the lovely Carol Merrill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shy Guy - see something about wanting to eat pig but...... .ילקוט שמעוני ויקרא - פרק כ רמז תרכו
    KT
    Joel Rich

    ReplyDelete
  7. shy guy,
    Yes I could have but if you note carefully Rashi includes only 2 examples, the Yalkut has a third which was particularly apropos for this context.
    KT
    Joel Rich

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...