Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Nov 10, 2011

The Rosh Yeshiva Jumped Out Of His Seat

I received permission from the author to post this amazing recollection of one student out of three thousand...
-----
Just Another Bochur in Mir

As a young Bochur (young man) learning in the (Yeshiva) Mir Yerushalayim, it can be extremely disconcerting to find one’s place in a yeshiva of over 3000 talmidim (students). I had come from a small yeshiva and was not used to the hustle and bustle of a large institution. As I started to get settled into my new Yeshiva I was told that as large as the yeshiva was, The Rosh hayeshiva Ztz’l (Dean), in his tzidkus (greatness), was willing to learn with any bochur who asked to learn with him. To say that I was a bit skeptical would be an understatement. How could it be that Harav Nosson Tzvi Finkel Ztz’l, a man who ran the largest yeshiva in the world at the time and lived with Parkinsons disease, could possibly find time to learn with anyone who simply asked. Nevertheless, I approached the Rosh Hayeshiva one evening, introduced myself and asked him if he had any time to learn with me. To my amazement, the Rosh Hayeshiva thought for a moment, and asked me to come to his house on the following Tuesday evening.

Needless to say as I approached the house I was a bit nervous. I knocked on the door and was greeted by a member of the family. I proudly said that I had an appointment to learn with the Rosh Hayeshiva and asked if he was available. To my chagrin I was told that the Rosh Hayeshiva was at the Chasunah (wedding) of a Talmid and would not be able to meet tonight. I was very disappointed but I understood that the Rosh Hayeshiva was an extremely busy man. I was sure that there was not a night that went by without a myriad of obligations that the Rosh Hayeshiva had to take care of. I was not yet ready to give up though and decided to try again next week.

The following week I once again knocked on the Rosh Hayeshiva’s door only to be told that the Rosh Hayeshiva was home but was too tired to meet with anyone. All of the talmidim knew about the super human strength the Rosh Hayeshiva needed just to get up in the morning and I just couldn’t bring myself to try and talk my way in. I was extremely disappointed, though. I pretty much gave up at that point. I cannot say that I was upset but more than a bit surprised that the Rosh Hayeshiva would agree in the first place to learn with me if he was truly unable.

I did not realize it at the time but the next encounter I would have with the Rosh Hayeshiva would change my life forever. The Tuesday after I was turned away from the door of the Rosh Hayeshiva, I was walking out of the Mir after lunch when I was approached by none other than the Rosh Hayeshiva himself. In his incredibly quiet manner he apologized for not being able to meet with me the last two weeks and guaranteed me that if I would stop by tonight, he would make sure he was available. I could not believe that the Rosh Hayeshiva actually remembered me enough to recognize me and approach me.

I showed up that night and once again knocked on the door. This time however I was let right in. The Rosh Hayeshiva was lying on the couch resting from a long day. It was obvious to me that he was absolutely spent. He did not have one ounce of strength left. In utter exhaustion, he got up from his couch and slowly walked with me over to the table. We sat down together and I waited for the Rosh Hayeshiva to speak. Instead he just looked at me waiting for me to speak. “Uh, What does the Rosh Hayeshiva want to learn?” I asked like a school boy in the principal’s office. He smiled at me and said, “You’re the boss, what do you think?” I told him that I wanted to learn mussar (ethics), perhaps something about laziness.

At this point I assumed the Rosh Hayeshiva would shmuez with me about the importance of making every moment count or perhaps tell me over some divrei Torah focusing on the midah (trait) of zrizus (proactiveness) in Mitzvos. Instead, the Rosh Hayeshiva did something that I will never forget for the rest of my life. Without a second thought and as tired and week as he was, he literally jumped out of his chair, hurried to the bookshelf and pulled out a Musser Sefer (holy book). It was as if he had a sudden burst of energy suddenly fill his body. I watched in utter shock as a man who was completely exhausted just moments ago, came back to life right before my eyes. We learned together for another ½ hour. A half hour Me’ayn Olam Habah (in total bliss).

To tell you the truth I don’t even remember what the sefer was and I don’t remember a word of what we learnt. But I will never forget the incredible energy the Rosh Hayeshiva suddenly exhibited. It was a lesson not of words but of action and one that I have put to use many times. Whenever I feel tired after a long day at work and am not in the mood to do something, I remember the incredible actions of the Rosh Hayeshiva. If anyone had an excuse to be lazy it was the Rosh hayeshiva. I realized at that moment that there is only one way to overcome that midah or any bad midah. You can learn about it from today till tomorrow but until you jump out of that seat it’s really not something you can internalize. I stayed in the yeshiva for another two years. Unfortunately I only learned with the Rosh Hayeshiva one more time but the lessons I learned have lasted a life time. The Rosh Hayeshiva Ztz’l will be sorely missed by everyone. Especially by the talmud who was just one of three thousand.

Akiva Pollack

4 comments:

  1. This is a really inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why are you all so inspired by this story, i think its really corny...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're not inspired it's okay. If you think it's corny, it's okay. But if you're going to make a derogatory comment, at least stand behind your comment and post your name. In either case, I think it's unfortunate that you weren't inspired by this story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moshe, let me be clear, i NEVER use my name online, if you want to risk it -bevakasha!

    But i'm consistent, if you'd like i can go by a pseudonym like most others do, will that help you, who cares, 95% of people don't use they're real names online (incl. this blog!), if your naive enough to do so, go right ahead.

    Regarding the issue at hand, i'd rather not comment why i feel the story is corny, in this generation where everybody is a "Gadol" and if you make the slightest remark that can be interpreted negative in any sense, your a heretic whom it is now muttar to pour bleach and burn down your house...

    With these so called "gedolei hador' of today, who needs Gedolim?!

    P.S. None of the above is to be interpreted as having to do with R'NTF Z"L, i was talking in a general sense to illustrated my apprehensiveness in explaining myself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...