Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Jun 6, 2016

Facebook Status of the Day



translation:
I met a Jew that used to participate in a shiur in our community until a few years ago.
Him: How's everything? How's the Thursday night shiur? Does it still meet?
Me: Hi. For sure it still exists. Why don't you come anymore? Yalla, come back, we still have the shiur and cholent every Thursday night like we used to.
Him: Sorry my brother, then I did not have children. Today, baruch hashem, I have sons and daughters, that need to go to the schools.
Me: So, what's the problem? the shiur is late at night, after the kids go to sleep.
Him: No, that's not the problem. I can't go because they will throw my kids out of their schools if I come to your shiur.
Me: ahhh, now I understand. If a father at night drops everything to go to shiur, they will throw his children out of school.
Him: Correct



absurd

------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

5 comments:

  1. Something is missing from this story. As written is makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are right. it made sense to me because I am familiar with the kehilla to which he refers, so I didnt even think about it.
    the kehilla where the shiur is held is a haredi kehilla of the "working haredim" - "new haredim" "israeli haredim" variety, and the more classic haredi schools arent excited about those types of people

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are saying, but what I cannot understand is why they would kick out his kids because he went to a shiur Friday night. If they kicked out anyone whose father went to work at a job, then I understand your explanation. But a shiur? Kollel men can go to a shiur, especially Friday night.

    I mean, does the school know he works? (Does he?) They are ok with that, but not with going to some shiur where he will hear divrei Torah and maybe chap some chulent?

    Something here does not compute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. for some people, a shiur torah might be good, but only in an acceptable shul/community. not in a shul that is considered "modern" or "trouble".
    I would note that many times the concern for what other people might think is not realistic and is more in people's minds than actual truth. If they knew he was associated with this specific shul, they might actually not care and not throw his kids out, but he is afraid they will

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty obvious, that if this is true, his kids are in the WRONG SCHOOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...