Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

May 2, 2010

The highlight of Lag B'Omer

What's the highlight of your Lag B'Omer?

Call me a heretic or a heathen, but the highlight for me is not saying tachanun.

The rest of it I find to be silly and pointless. The kids have fun with the fire, but that does not make much of a holiday... Anyway, how holy can the fire be when the main focus of it is to get the potatoes in just right (after dancing for 5 minutes, of course), along with jockeying for position so you can roast your marshmallows quicker?

9 comments:

  1. Not saying Tachanun is only a highlight if Lag Bomer falls on a Monday or Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do what Ben Gurion did on Lag Ba'Omer - I don't say Hallel and I don't say Tachanun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaving on erev shabbos was pretty big too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I enjoyed not saying Tzidkosacha Tzedek yesterday, and no Uva leTzion today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meir, no Uva leTzion? What minhag is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashkenazic YidMay 02, 2010 5:54 PM

    "Call me a heretic or a heathen.."

    What? Farkert, on the contrary, you are the one doing the right thing here, and following the mesorah of Ashkenaz. Which means no bonfires, no Meron pilgrimage (as per teshuvoh of Chasam Sofer who questions making a new yomtov not mentioned in Shas and poskim), no upsherin...

    The Ashkenazic lag ba'omer is more low-key, no tachanun, but not wild and raucous. Since when did it become a mitzvoh to make loads of people uncomfortable or worse, just because some people enjoy a bonfire?

    Follow minhag Ashkenaz and breathe easily!

    The old time religion is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The highlight is wishing my wife happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love Lag ba-Omer, when I was...younger! I loved playing with bow and arrow, having a medurah and singing songs. I still love singing Bar Yochai, but didn't feel like celebrating it today.
    What's wrong with going to Meron and visiting the kever of R. Bar-Yochai? If I were in Israel, I might have done that.

    I did tell my husband to get a haircut today, but he didn't listen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoops!!! Sorry, I meant no LaMenatzayach before Uva leTzion. My highlight is also celebrating our wedding anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...