Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Apr 10, 2007

some political points

1. Labor MK Ophir Pines-Paz is moving to force the Labor Party to back out of the Olmert government. Pines-Paz is running for leadership of the Labor Party. While I do not support the Labor Party, as I do not agree with its actions or beliefs, I do wish that Pines-Paz would win the upcoming Labor primaries and so support him in the race. Pines-Paz has showed himself to be one of the only politicians left in Labor who conduct themselves based on their beliefs and try to remain true to the party platform. What he said and did then, is what Amir Peretz is saying now in order to try and score some points before the primary.
Even though I do not agree with his political philosophy and outlook, I do believe in supporting politicians who show some sort of integrity and I believe Pines-Paz might be one of the few left in Labor who have shown such integrity. Unfortunately, his chances of winning against the party heavyweights are slim, but I still believe that he should be supported for leadership of the Labor Party. Even though I would never vote for Labor.

2. On March 21, I wrote my prediction that Meir Sheetrit would eventually be appointed Finance Minister after Hirschson steps down or is removed. I did mention then that Sheetrit would be appointed in my opinion, unless Olmert goes with an outsider.
At the time I had not taken into account that the courts would remove any moral issues from Haim Ramon's conviction of sexual misconduct (what is wrong with sexual misconduct and forcing yourself on a member of the opposite sex if not moral grounds?) which allows him to re-enter the Israeli political life. Now that Ramon is back in the picture, it seems likely the Finance Ministry will be given to him.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's hard to get worked up over these guys. I guess with some perspective I've realized how little influence these here-today gone-tomorrow government ministers really have. Like, if Olmert disappeared now, what would happen? Would we get someone any better? Here's a scary thought: we get the leaders we deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is actually very true and sad. we get the leaders we deserve

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...