Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Jan 17, 2018

from one pet-eater to another

Mayor of Tel Aviv Ron Huldai announced to the world that he has eaten dog meat and it is delicious. He says that why should it be any different than eating chicken or shrimp? He did this when he was in Vietnam. And when he was in Africa he ate termites and locust.

And I think he is right. Why should it be any different. From one pet-eater to another, besides for the kashrut issue, I see nothing wrong with eating an animal that was or could be a pet.

Huldai definitely got the headlines today with that admission.

I don't know if this should be a big deal or not, though many people are making a big deal out of it - from both an animal rights perspective and from a religious and Jewish state perspective. Huldai is a big boy and I do not feel like I need to tell him what he can and cannot eat. The Torah gave us all free will to choose to follow the Torah or not. I do not think it is my job to force him to follow the rules of the Torah just because I adhere to them. I feel bad that he so chooses, but it is his choice to make. And I do not think the fact that he ate dog meat negatively impacts the character of the Jewish state.


------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

7 comments:

  1. As if dog is MORE treif than non-schechted beef, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess it doesn't matter to you that the Torah calls what this 'mayor' has eaten and is proud of, 'despicable and disgusting' and to show kosher animals are different and we should be nauseated by the thought of eating such unclean creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where exactly does the Torah call dog meat disgusting? I don't recall that verse. In addition, Chazal said that a person SHOULDN'T say that he doesn't want to eat pork....

      Delete
    2. It's just an anonymous fanatic. Don't mind him.

      Delete
  3. Little does he know that locusts are kosher...

    And no, he's wrong. The mark of a modern, civilized, Western person (which you better hope we are) is that we don't eat certain things. Dogs and cats, for example. We're a bit queasy about horses. If kashrut wasn't an issue, I still don't think I'd be able to eat great apes or elephants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. had he eaten the dog mea tin Israel or in a western country, I am sure this would not have gone down so easy. He ate it in the far east, in vietnam, where they do eat these things. I know other Israelis who have told me they have eaten practically everything under the sun while in vietnam and thailand. The strangest, to me, was bees.

      Delete
  4. These are sick puppies. When one isn't starving and goes against even basic cultured human ways, let alone if it is a Jew, it's even uglier. Geography gives him & the others no excuse. Personally know non-Jews who would hesitate unless they were starving.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...