Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Aug 19, 2010

V'Shavu Banim L'Gvulam: NBN aliyah flight Aug 19, 2010


Today I went, for my first time ever, to the Nefesh bNefesh welcoming ceremony to greet a planeload of new olim. Until now I always decided not to go, thinking that when I made aliyah I had to get on an Egged bus to go to the Misrad Hapnim and then sit in the Misrad Hapnim for a few hours waiting for my turn to try to convince some clerk to let me become Israeli (I made aliyah while already in Israel). So I always thought these pampered Americans don't need me to come greet them. It is very nice that they have these ceremonies, very encouraging for others, and creates an exciting atmosphere, but I never felt like I needed to be a part of it.

Boy was I wrong. I went today because some relatives of mine were making aliyah and arriving on this flight. I went to greet them.

I am not going to describe the whole day, but the event was exciting, extremely emotional, encouraging, and invigorating. It gave over the sense of being part of something larger than life.

I saw a friend of mine, a fellow runner, among many friends I saw, who told me he was not there greeting relatives, but had come with his family simply to renew his
sense and feelings of Zionism (I forget the exact term he used, but that was the idea), and that is exactly what the event does. It is worth going once in a while just to help you remember and appreciate what we all have here in Israel, to remind us of why we came, when you see a planeload of new olim coming, returning home.

Here are some pictures from the event, with some commentary..

The yekke blood is so strong inside of me, I still show up at events on time...
The Eagle Has Landed. I repeat, The Eagle Has Landed!

I heard rumors that NBA star Amare Stoudamire recently discovered he was Jewish and moved to Israel. Rumor further had it that he was in the welcoming group of today's NBN flight.. I think I spotted him..




The Torah scroll that made aliyah today. When he passed me with the Torah, I kissed the Torah, and then impulsively kissed him on the cheek and said to him, as he turned to me looking strangely, that I kissed the Torah, but he deserves it even more because he just made aliyah doing a great mitzvah...






The one thing Nefesh bNefesh needs to add to the ceremony is validated parking tickets for all registered guests!

V'Shavu Banim L'Gvulam!

3 comments:

  1. The guy with the Torah made aliyah a few years ago. He lives in RBS. He just went to pick up the sefer torah, but I'm sure he enjoyed your kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny. the guy in the pic is not the guy I smooched. He is just the guy I had a picture of holding the torah, and I figured it doesnt really make a difference. if you watch the NBN video (on the nbn website) or look at the other websites with pictures, such as Jacob Richmans, for example, you will see the guy getting off the plane with the torah is someone else. That is the guy I smooched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post. The part about being a yekke had me laughing out loud. I made aliyah 1.5 weeks ago and I was so thankful to all the people who took so much time from their schedules to come meet our plane (none of whom we knew)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...