Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Feb 24, 2021

Book Review: The Israel Bible Scroll of Esther (Megillat Esther)


NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.

Book Review: The Israel Bible Scroll of Esther


I know it is close to Purim already, but you should really do whatever you can to get your copy of this version of the Megillat Esther, The Israel Bible Scroll of Esther, published by Israel365 and Teach for Israel. I just got my review copy last night, so apologies for the last minute review. As soon as I opened the package and took it out I was struck by how stunning it is. 

The megilla is Megillas Esther, and I am sure most of you are familiar with it. I am not going to comment on the translation, but it is from The Israel Bible and that was really well done. The layout makes reading it easy and comfortable, with the Hebrew and English test side by side, accompanied by an interesting commentary below the text. Any verse that has commentary on it below the text is also fully transliterated so it will be easy for people (some of whom might not have strong Hebrew skills) to understand and identify key passages.
The book, Scroll of Esther, was published and dedicated in memory of Esther Horgen. Esther was murdered by a terrorist this past December while running in the woods near her house. Esther worked as a therapist but was also an artist. You can read about her elsewhere, but after she was murdered the articles about her showed a special person was taken. 

Not only is this version of the Megillat Esther dedicated, aptly, to the memory of Esther Horgen but it is decorated with her artwork as well. I didn't know Esther or anything about her until she was murdered, but her artwork in the Scroll of Esther leaves me with the impression that she was a soft, joyful and tasteful person. If her art could define her, that is what I would assume. The colors are pleasant and soft, and the designs intricate but clear and not overly busy. The blend of Esther's art along with the clear text really makes this an appealing publication. I am including below a few samples of her artwork adoring the pages of the megilla.

The book is written with letters from the Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu and President of Israel Reuven Rivlin. It includes an introduction from her husband Benjamin Horgen and a foreword by Rabbi Tully Wiesz. After the megilla there are a couple of articles about Esther (both Esther Horgen and Queen Esther), followed by various charts, maps, prayers and other pages of interesting information, including information about the Esther Horgen Memorial Forest and Park. (where you can plant a tree in her memory).










  • "buy" The Israel Bible Scroll of Esther on TheIsraelBible.com ("buy" is in quotation marks because, as you'll see on the website, it is really free with a donation)






NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.


------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. I just "bought" it, thanks to your review. Many thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...