Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Nov 10, 2014

Book Review: The Soul Of Chanukah, by Shlomo Katz

NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.

Book Review: The Soul of Chanukah: Teachings of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, by Rabbi Shlomo Katz


The Soul of Chanukah.

The name alone is captivating. Who does not love the holiday of Chanukah? Who is not captivated by the lights?

The Soul of Chanukah, by Mosaica Press, gives you a new perspective on Chanukah.

The Soul of Chanukah is a book written by Shlomo Katz, but it is compiled from the teachings of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach. Similar to The Soul of Jerusalem, I had a little bit of a hard time with this book at first - when I started reading it. I am not a fan of "Carlebach" in any particular way, though I of course enjoy his music at times. The Carlebach style is fairly hassidic in nature, along with a bit of "hippy" as well, and that just isn't me. I often do not get it when trying to read such styled books, or listen to shiurim in that manner. The topic of the book made me give it more than a fleeting attempt, and I am happy I did.

Of course I have heard Rav Shlomo Carlebach - I have heard his music, heard his stories, and heard him give over his Torah. Who hasn't heard recordings of his performances? I noticed that while reading The Soul of Chanukah, I was hearing Shlomo Carlebach's voice. I commend Shlomo Katz, a wonderful musician (and probably wonderful teacher though I was never a student of his, though I have had the fortune to meet him a few times) for doing a fabulous job on writing this book as if Shlomo Carlebach was saying over the lessons. I could hear his voice in my head as I was reading the book. When I first started reading, a couple of times I had to stop to take a look, again and again, to clarify for myself who wrote the book, whose teachings were they and on what were they based-  was it Shlomo Katz or Shlomo Carlebach?  If I knew enough about Carlebach, which I don't, I almost would say they might be pretty close to one and the same (in style - not in performance). Katz did a great job writing this in Shlomo Carlebach's voice and style, I think.

The Soul of Chanukah is made up of a number of essays, with each essay being a chapter made up of numerous sections that follow one after the other to complete the essay, with each section also being a stand-alone lesson, while also being part of the larger essay.

I admit, there were a few sections I did not understand completely. I did not always successfully make the connections of different thoughts that were being connected. It is possible, maybe even probable, that it was because of the hassidic and esoteric style that is natural to Carlebach, and Katz, but not to me. There was enough of the book providing powerful lessons and perspectives that even with not understanding some of the pieces, I still was able to enjoy and appreciate the rest of the book.


The Soul of Chanukah is essays and lessons that are peppered with stories, all told so beautifully in the heartfelt way Shlomo Carlebach was such a master of.

Personally, I have a relatively simple understanding of Chanukah. I have read about the miracles, we celebrate the miracle of the oil, the reconquering of the Beit Hamikdash, the freedom achieved in being able to adhere to our religious law, publicizing the miracles. This book is full of lessons beyond the basic lessons and messages of Chanukah.

If you are a student and follower of Carlebach and of the Carlebach movement, you will surely read and enjoy this book. If you aren't, you might not bother - but you should. Take another look at Chanukah. The holiday is coming up, the lights are captivating, and Katz and Carlebach shed new light (pun intended) on the holiday.


buy The Soul of Chanukah on Amazon.com



NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.



------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Did you actually read this book or cut and paste the Soul of Jerusalem book, and replace Jerusalem with Chanuka?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it. The book is similar in style and quality so I copied and then changed

      Delete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...