Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Jan 12, 2012

Quote Of The Day

Quote Of The Day

For many years already I go to official ceremonies, and when a female singer gets up I walk out quietly. There were never problems on this issue. Many secular people are contacting me and asking how much they need to give in for us, the Haredim. But what have we asked that they forgo? We never asked the singer to stop singing, just that we should be able to go out quietly. The secular always tell us "live and let live" and now we are saying that to them. I never told anybody what they should do, I just requested that they allow those who keep halacha to live their lives in the army, with no connection to training and excercises, according to their beliefs. 

  -- MK Moshe Gafni (UTJ)

7 comments:

  1. "I never told anybody what they should do,"

    oh please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This issue of the female singers never goes away. I was just wondering if the solution might be to turn the situation around. Does it so happen, that at these events, there are ONLY female singers. That sounds a bit wrong to me. Are there ONLY secular singers? That also sounds a bit wrong to me. So I suggest, that for these events, there should not be a monopoly of female/secular singers, but some events should have male/religious singers, like those of the Army Rabbinate choir for example. The moment there are requests for this in the name of equality, the whole problem will disappear, including the female singers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at a dinner in Israel once at which the Sochnut showcased successful olim from various countries. One was a young Russian who was introduced as Israel's next big thing. As she walked up to the stage I muttered "Sorry, need the bathroom" and edged my way out of the room along with several others. No one announced the real reason we left, hopefully no one was offended.
    The problem is that because of the whackjobs in RBS the chilonim are on edge over everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought I would agree with anything Gafni says, but he imho is 100% right here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gafni is correct.
    Walking out quietly and respectfully is not a 'slap/spit in the face'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What message does this send to women soldiers? That they're lesser than men? Ah! I have a novel idea: While you're at it, send all women to the back of the bus. Waidaminit. The Haredim are already doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon makes a good (sarcastic) point.

    If there was a sense of equality in Israel than I think there would be more leeway on issues like these.

    But when there are protests to protect equal rights throughout the country, this issue cannot be carved out as a separate event.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...